Monday, January 26, 2009

Gold Coast Technology Industry

In my early to mid thirties, I lived on the Gold Coast and as I was in Marketing in the technology sector, became heavily involved. When I talk involved, I mean involved.

I ran the IT Awards, was the Secretariat for all IT Industry Associations Board that talked directly to government on industry based issues, spoke at universities and schools on careers in IT, and founded industry group e-Women and so on.

Deeply entrenched in the IT industry, I could see no other sector that particularly tickled my fancy.

Now, years later, I am back here and whilst I have been working in other industries, it still remains dear to my heart.

I have gone on the IT Gold Coast Committee as Treasurer and I represent the association on the combined industries board. I am passionate about the buzz that surrounded the industry here 10 years ago that has diminished. I believe that it could be the epicentre of the Australian IT industry.

When companies want to expand to Australia, why not choose the Gold Coast. It’s beautiful - beaches, people, homes, lifestyle. It really doesn't get much better. I feel blessed everyday I wake up to the water views I have from my home and the spectacular weather. At 5am in the morning, I hop on my computer, check my emails, have a coffee and peer over what I believe is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen.

If companies are worried about there not being enough people here in the IT sector - don't be alarmed. There are solutions. I know recruitment companies sitting in South Africa, America and the UK that have an abundance of people dying to live in Australia - and IT isn't like marketing, you don't need to know the market or be connected.

I challenge Google or Microsoft to go against the norm and set up their offices here, where the sun shines, the waves splash against the shores and the people are so friendly.

Oh, and I almost forgot. The government is helpful. They go out of their way to attract businesses to the area. The Gold Coast City Council Economic Development Unit is accessible and they have a can-do approach.

I couldn't be happier. I have a digital marketing company located here on the Gold Coast and it is going great guns. Why? Because everyday, people love to come to work in the best city in Australia.

http://www.marketingeye.com.au

5 comments:

Jock said...

Innovation is one of the most valuable commodities of the future and our future depends vigorously on developing the IT&T sector.
Your dedication to the IT industry and the inception of E-Women is inspiring.

brand_king said...

The Gold Coast certainly appears to be a booming marketing within the Australian professional services industry (and ICT in particular).

I think that it is crucial for businesses within the Gold Coast to posssess a strong market presence, and it's great to hear the CEO of a company putting in the hard yards to get the business up and running in a new market.

Each market has its own unique intricacies and unless you are there on a regualar basis, this could make or break your business.

mlock01 said...

It sounds like the IT Gold Coast Committee have got the right person for the job. You certainly appear passionate about both the Gold COast and IT.

BBchou said...

I havnt been Gold Coast~~You make me really want to go there, to have a look~~

Anonymous said...

The Gold Coast sounds like a great place to have a business. Not only did you say it was beautiful, it is also a fast growing place for the technology sector. This sort of thing sould like a great area to be in and a great place to be residing.