Sunday, February 8, 2009

Nothing Else Matters

Yesterday I watched television for the first time in years.

My cousin lives in Healesville and the fires are just kilometres away from his home. He is a sensible young man, who has done all the right things, packed up his car with emergency supplies and is ready to evacuate.

Five of his friends have already lost their homes and a couple are missing fighting fires in neighbouring properties.

As I watched the television, tears rolled down my eyes for the people who have lost their lives and loved ones, their homes and their memories.

The death toll rises by the minute. Whilst it is recorded right now to be 103, my cousin has informed me that another 80 bodies have been found. Many of whom are women and children.

Another friend is a firefighter from Queensland. He has just informed me that they are sending a crew down today. He may be next in line.

Whilst many of us last week spent wasted hours worrying about the economy and what impact that it has had or will have on our lives, it pales in comparison to losing a life or that of someone you love.

Who cares if we lose our material possessions - really. It's not our lives. Many will face financial ruin over year ahead, but does it really matter if you still have your life and your family is safe.

We worry too much about material possessions. People have died in the last few days protecting their homes but not being able to read nature enough to realise that things can change at any moment - the wind, the intensity of the fire and its fierceness on all that is around it. They have lost their lives in the worst possible way.

In the upcoming months, as a business owner I will continue to watch our sales performance and cash flow, but will also ensure that I look out for those less fortunate than myself. People who have lost their lives and their homes.

I think the life of another is more important than having a nice home, a new car or the latest fashion item. It is now a time for everyone to reflect and give a helping hand. I know I will be.

If you can spare a few dollars, dig deep. Our community needs your help and support. Be there for the people that need it because one day, it could be you.

Nothing else matters.

http://www.marketingeye.com.au

5 comments:

brand_king said...

Here Here. Australia is fortunate that these tragic events do not occur as frequently as they do in other parts of the world, but when it does it hits hard.

Situations such as the Victorian bushfires put things into perspective. I too had a small bushfire less than 3km from my house and saw a local resident similar to me, lose his house.

I just pray that those who caused these fires are treated in the manner they deserve.

Jock said...

It's unfortunate that it usually takes a tragic event to make an entire nation collectively stop, re-assess and be greatful for what they already have in their life. It really puts the recession into perspective

mlock01 said...

This tragic event will be in Australia's collective psyche for decades to come. Its times like these that we all need to band together in order to ensure that no one is left to fend for themselves in the aftermath of this disater.

Also, completely agree with brand king... the people who have started these fires deserve the harshest possible penalties.

BBchou said...

The tragic is so terriable, never happen again~

Unknown said...

I agree with Jock - I wish it didn't take something as extreme or devistating as the bushfires to keep us all in check. I hope after experiencing this it will not take another tragedy to keep us tuned in with reality.