Thursday, February 5, 2009

What makes us change service providers?

There are many things that make us change a service provider - bad service, not the right service for your needs, bad location, change of direction, convenience, people - the list goes on and on.

In general, I am loyal to people that provide me service and am reluctant to change particularly if it is for personal services.

I have the same beautician, masseuse, doctor, dentist etc that I have had for a very long time.

My old hairdresser used to be in the Gold Coast and whilst at the time I lived in Sydney, I chose to stay loyal and fly every fortnight to Queensland so that I didn't have to change. Ultimately, this became ridiculous and expensive, so I moved.

Hair is a funny thing. For most women a stylish hairdo can mean whether they look good or a little worse for wear. I know when my hair looks good, people always comment.

So, for the past 2 years I have been going to Joe from Therapy in Potts Point to have my hair coloured, cut and styled. He does a sensational job, is friendly and I feel important when I am having my hair styled by him.

In between having my hair styled by Joe, I have been getting blow outs from a little salon underneath my work. It is convenient, they do a good job and they are pleasant and always up for a good laugh.

In the past year though, my faithful colourist has been unavailable on the days I have tried to book. In fairness to him, I book the day before I want it to be done and most good hairdressers are booked out well in advance.

So, in desperation, I have gone to the colourist downstairs from work.

He did a really good job and convinced me that foils were better than a full head of tint, so I have been going to him quite regularly, particularly when Joe has not been available.

When I say regularly, other than my weekly blow out, probably once a month for 12 months.

Today, he was blow drying my hair and noticed some split ends. Now my hair is fine, so it is to be expected. He said it is the fault of whoever is colouring my hair. I don't really care too much as to why the split hair has occurred because it happens, but I said to him that it would have to be him or Joe.

He said, it must be Joe. I explained that in effect, he had done my hair more times then Joe over the past 12 months. He then argued that he had only ever done my hair 3 times and on the day, it was in fact the 3rd time.

Anyway, there was some banter with me saying that I don't really care about the split ends anyway, but I think he should be aware that he has done my hair more than that.

Now, if I was the service provider I would have either said nothing (if I thought I was right) or agreed with the client (the client is always right), but no, he did not do that. He continued to bring it back into conversation.

I have left the salon wondering whether I should ever go back again.

When you go to a salon and you are a woman, you want to feel special and it is often your chill-out time to just relax and read gossip magazines or in my case, work out what I am doing at work for the day without any disruption.

The jury is out. I am not sure whether I will go back again or not, but I have to say it has opened the door for making that extra effort to be organised and to go to my previous hairdresser who always made me feel the way I need to when I get my hair done. On top of that, he did a sensational job and I always leave the salon feeling beautiful.

When I returned to the office, I relayed the conversation I had with the soon to be ex-hairdresser as a message that it can take something as simple as that to lose a customer.

http://www.marketingeye.com.au

4 comments:

brand_king said...

Hmm interesting experience. I too am very particular when it comes to cutting my hair or getting a massage. I believe that these personal services require more of a concerted effort form service providers to keep your services, rather than say an internet or telephone provider.

In most cases I would agree that the customer is right, however there would be particular cases in which I believe that the customer may actually want you challenge their thinking (e.g. in a professional services capacity).

Nonetheless an interesting case study on how NOT to treat your loyal customers!

Jock said...

in an industry such as hairdressing where they impact on a customers self esteem, a greater emphasis is placed on the level of service to be provided. however, I agree with brand_king, in some instances it's important for a service provider to be provide an alternative view.

mlock01 said...

As long as in providing that alternative view, the service provider is aware enough not to blatantly argue with their customers over issues that really dont bare much relevance.

Gotta pick your battles people.

BBchou said...

Sometime when i used to doing something, it is hard to change. But my friends always say, sometine changing is good.