Monday, May 18, 2009

Television, the big motivator.

Some people turn on the television to laugh, others to be entertain... me... to be motivated.

I rarely watch a show that doesn't have some relevance to my life. Yes, I was addicted to Sex In The City, then came Lipstick Jungle and on the weekend, the DVD for Cashmere Mafia.

These girls are successful, maybe not in love, but certainly in their perspective careers. They are corporate high-fliers, fashion designers with billionaire boyfriends and movie producers. How glamorous and exciting!

They dress well, eat at exclusive and expensive restaurants, get invited to the best parties in town and live in interior designed apartments.

In the boardroom, the ones that make it this far, are sexy, smart and seductive. They know how to be hard when they have to and when to let go. They make deals happen and risk it all for a pair of Jimmy Choos. Well, not quite, but you get the drift.

As I watched episode after episode, I was seduced by the glamour and the art and performance of a good deal. It made me think about my job as the CEO of a marketing firm and how I communicate with clients, staff and in general the people around me. How do they see me? Do I install the feeling of trust that these people do on the show? Do they think I know what I am doing? I hope so, 18 years of a marketing career has to account for something, surely.

I left my weekend as a couch potato and dived straight into the boardroom for my Monday morning staff meeting and I communicated to my audience, showed a brave and encouraging face to the current economic climate, created opportunities for my leadership team and left knowing I did a good job.

Next, I rung 5 clients to ask what more I could do for them. How can I improve the service we give you? What is going to make you get more sales and bigger profits? Don't know the answer, well lucky then that I had a few good ideas up my sleeve and I was not only ready to show them but very enthusiastic. I believe.

The hunger to succeed, to be the best marketer I can be and to make a difference to my clients and employees lives is all I can think about this week.

All because of a television show.

Some people get it from books, others get it from inspirational leaders and public speakers. I get it from the television. My big motivator.

Sometimes that is all you need to give you a push when all you hear about is how bad it is out there. All I can hear this week is how good it is and how many opportunities are ready for the take.

Find your source of inspiration and take it into the boardroom. Believe in yourself, your brand and what you have to offer the market and make sure everyone knows.

www.marketingeye.com.au

4 comments:

BBchou said...

As u said, TV is really a great tool to promote. There are more and more coach potatoes in normal life, so utilizing TV is a good choice.

Kirstyn said...

Sitting on the couch, watching TV and just doing nothing can sometimes be the best thing to do. Especially in the evenings after a long day at work I just love it, especially my ‘Desperate Housewives’ Mondays, just great. But TV is not just a good way to kill time. As you have already said, depending on what I watch it motivates me and often makes me think about life and the things I do.

Unknown said...

These women inspire me too - they may be fictional but who wouldn't want to run the boardroom and have successful lives all while in a pair of Louboutains. While it may not be Thoreau or Dickens, these shows still provide something to aspire to achieve and good entertainment.

Anonymous said...

You made a great point, TV is a great motivation. Like Marietta said, although it might be fake, these women are powerful women in companies. They are people that we strive to be and they help drive us to reach our goals.