Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Living the dream - I mean brand

I have a good friend who always talks about 'living the dream'. He arrives at a friends house, they go "what have you been up to?", he replies "Living the dream". Actually, you can pretty much ask him anything and the reply is always the same. Go figure.

What is living the dream anyway? Sipping pina coladas in the Whitsundays? Surfing in Hawaii? Living in the South of France? Having so much money, you are sleeping in it?

To me 'living the dream' is quite simple. Living life, enjoying what you do and being proud of what you achieve day-in, day-out. If these things are aligned, I pretty much wake up in the morning, excited about starting the day.

I have to say I am pretty happy with my 'lot' but a majority of my awake time, Monday to Friday, is not so much about living the dream but about 'living the brand'. The Marketing Eye brand. And I have to say, it's paying dividends in so many ways.

The more I engage the brand, the culture of the organisation and the realisation that as a Marketing Eye I can achieve what many people think they can't - I get excited and I embrace every single particle of the brand and it lives in me and the people that I touch.

I can make not only my brand come alive, but others. Companies who aren't sure about what exactly they should be doing to increase their brand awareness, get staff buy-in to their brands, create sales opportunities and promote their companies.

The ability to connect to your brand, particularly in today's market, and align your brand to customers and employees, culture and reputation, behaviours and differentiation, promises and reality - will help your company stand out from the crowd and ignite belief in everyone your brand touches.

Branded businesses are about people. Find out what motivates your employees whether it be career progression, job satisfaction or money, and develop an employee proposition that will work for your company.

Once staff are treated in an on-brand way, they are more likely to respond positively.

It's the cheapest form of marketing you will find.

www.marketingeye.com.au

4 comments:

BBchou said...

Sometime I even think living in dream is not a bad thing, at least I can get a short break with my favourite things, such as: the ocean, the beautiful cloth. But true is I am living in real life, it is also not a bad thing, it means I can growth after facing different problems. Thanks god, I am alive~~

Kirstyn said...

My marketing professor at uni would love this article. He specialized in brands and always told us to remember this one sentence from his class “One Brand, My Brand”. He said when we wake up in the morning and that is the first thing that comes into our minds then the brand has done everything right with their marketing. To be able to love a brand it is important to identify with it. Especially at the workplace it is important that the employee’s indentify with the company and love the brand it presents. It is then much easier to pass that positive attitude on to the clients. And loving your own brand is the first step to market it the right way.

Anonymous said...

This article really makes you think, are you really living the dream, That of which is your own brand? Kirstyn made a good point, the first step is to love your brand and then you have the right tools that you need to market it.

Unknown said...

It could be very simple for you as a successful CEO to not care about making sure your employees are also living their dream. But in reality they are what is making your dream come alive, your staff is the most important part of your business - or in this case your life.